Bill Chuck (Billy-Ball his own self)
Billy-Ball – From the diamond to your desktop…
Subscribe to Billy-Ball – it’s free – www.billy-ball.com
The only spin here is on my screwball
Thursday, June 21, 2007
Top of the 1st
THE LAST TIME – ORIOLES EDITION
“Well this could be the last time
This could be the last time
Maybe the last time
I don’t know. Oh no. Oh no.”
Mick Jagger/Keith Richards – Rolling Stones, 1965
* The last time the Orioles changed managers in mid-season was in August, 2005 when Sam Perlozzo stepped in for Lee Mazzilli. That same month the Rolling Stones played in Fenway Park (they won).
* The last time the Orioles did not finish fourth in the AL East was 2004 when they finished third. The O’s have finished fourth eight of the last nine years. 2004 was the year the final episode of “Friends” aired.
* The last time an Oriole led the league in RBI was in 2004 when Miguel Tejada drove home 150 runs. Lance Armstr*ng won his unprecedented 6th consecutive Tour de France cycling title.
* The last time the Orioles finished with a winning percentage under .400 was in 2001 when their record was 63-98 (.391). Scrubs debuted that year on NBC.
* The last time the Orioles won the AL East was 1997, under manager Davey Johnson. That was the year that Diana, Princess of Wales, was killed in a car crash
* The last time the Orioles finished above .500 was 1997, also the last time they finished above .600, when they were 98-64 (.605). That was the year the Dow Jones closed above 7,000 for the first time.
* The last time the Orioles were the Wild Card team was in 1996, when they lost to the Yanks in the ALCS. That year Independence Day, starring Will Smith was the top grossing film.
* The last time an Oriole pitcher led the AL in wins was in 1995 when Mike Mussina had 19. 1995 was the year that Yahoo was founded.
* The last time the Orioles lost 100+ games was in 1988 when they went 54-107. 1988 was the year the democrats nominated nominated Michael Dukakis for U.S. President and Lloyd Bentsen for Vice President.
* The last time an Oriole pitcher led the league in ERA was in 1984 when Mike Boddicker was tops with an ERA of 2.79. Bishop Desmond Tutu won the Nobel Peace Prize that year.
* The last time the Orioles won the World Series was in 1983 when the defeated the Phillies four games to one. That was the season of the famous Pine Tar Game with George Brett.
* The last time an Oriole led the league in homers was in 1981 when Don Baylor hit 22 to tie with Bobby Grich of the Angels, Tony Armas of Oakland, and Dewey Evans of the Red Sox. That was the year that Walter Cronkite signed off for the last time after 19 years hosting the CBS Evening News.
* The last time the Orioles won 100 games was in 1980 when they went 100-62. 1980 is the year that actor Jake Gyllenhaal was born.
* The last time the Orioles lost the World Series was in 1979 when they fell in seven games to the Pittsburgh Pirates. That was the year that ESPN started broadcasting.
* The last time an Oriole led the league in batting was in 1966 when Frank Robinson hit .316. In April of that year there were 250,000 U.S. troops in Vietnam.
* The last time an Oriole led the league in stolen bases was in 1964 when Luis Aparicio stole 57. 1964 was the year Hello, Dolly! opened on Broadway.
* The Oriole pitcher to lead the AL in strikeouts was Bob Turley in 1954 when he struck out 185 batters. 1954 was the year Jerry Seinfeld was born.
Top of the 2nd
SCHILLING ON DL AFTER SHOT
Curt Schilling, who is 6-4, will be placed on the 15-day disabled list Friday with what the club is calling a sore right shoulder. He will miss at least two starts. Schilling received a cortisone shot yesterday and fortunately it will not affect his blogging or his speaking.
The Sox don’t have to worry about the loss of the Senator thanks to Yo-Yo. Juli