Congrats to MLBPA union head Michael Weiner and XM Radio personality and former GM Jim Duquette and his daughter, Lindsey, all who have been voted the Arthur Richman You Gotta Have Heart award by the New York chapter of the Baseball Writers’ Association of America.
Weiner is being treated for a brain tumor while Duquette donated a kidney in June to 10-year-old Lindsey. She had suffered from Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis, a leading cause of kidney failure in children.
Other awards to be handed out:
- R.A. Dickey was voted the Joe DiMaggio Toast of Town award Tuesday.
- CC Sabathia was selected for the Joan Payson Award for community service.
- Chipper Jones was chosen for the William J. Slocum and Jack Lang Long and Meritorious Service award.
- Pablo Sandoval earned the Babe Ruth Award as postseason MVP.
- Miguel Cabrera was awarded the Sid Mercer/Dick Young Player of the Year.
- Nick Swisher was selected for the Ben Epstein/Dan Castellano Good Guy award.
- The 1973 New York Mets will get the Willie, Mickey & The Duke award.
- Jim Abbott will receive the Casey Stengel You Could Look It Up award on the 20th anniversary of his no-hitter for the Yankees against Cleveland.
The awards will be presented at the chapter’s annual dinner on Jan. 19.