My weekly look at the numbers embedded in the standings
Nine to Know
- Only four losses separate the five teams in the AL East. The average record in the AL East is 41-34.
- How hot are the Jays? Not only do they have an 11-game winning streak, but their 15-5 record in their last 20 games is the best in baseball and their 20-10 record in their last 30 is also the best in baseball.
- The Tigers and Padres have each won six-of-10, 12-of-20, and 17-of 30.
- The Diamondbacks are 5-5, 10-10, and 15-15 intheir last 10, 20, and 30 respectively.
- It doesn’t matter which Texas team you root for because the Astros and the Rangers have each won six-of-10, nine-of-20, and 15-of 30.
- Two first-place teams have slowed down: The Red Sox and the Cards have each won 17-of-30, but 10 of their last 20, and four of their last 10.
- Boston and St. Louis has company in their mediocre play, joining them at 4-6 in their last 10 are the Rays, Nationals, Yankees, Dodgers, Rockies and Giants.
- Joining the Red Sox and Cards at 10-10 in their last 20 are the Reds, D-backs, Phils, Mariners, Brewers, Yankees and A’s.
- The Marlins have opened space between themselves and the 1962 Mets. The Marlins are 25-50 and the Mets were 21-54.