The Red Sox lead the league in walks with 260 issued by their pitching staff.
Red Sox manager John Farrell is quoted in today’s Boston Herald by Michael Silverman as saying, “It seems like they come in bunches. We’ve had a number of games where we’ve been pretty clean, but there are times where we’ve created some issues, put men on base, and we do lead the American League in walks issued and I think we’ve seen when guys issue those walks, we’ve seen what happens.”
Farrell’s recollection is not that accurate:
- There have been 153 games this season in which a team has issued no walks, the Red Sox have only had three such games (they are 2-1 in those games), tied for the second fewest in baseball.
- The Red Sox have had seven one-walk games (they are 6-1 in those games), tied for the second fewest in baseball.
- The Red Sox have had 11 two-walk games (they are 9-2 in those games), tied for 23rd in baseball.
- The Red Sox have had 20 three-walk games (they are 9-11 in those games), the most in baseball.
- The Red Sox have had 30 four+-walk games (they are 16-14 in those games), tied for sixth in baseball.
The leaders in walkless games
The leaders in one walk games