A look at the numbers within the standings
Nine to Know
- The Pittsburgh Pirates are at the halfway mark with the best record in baseball, 51-30 (.630). The Pirates highest winning pct. ever is .741 (103-36-3) by the 1902 Bucs. The last time the Pirates finished with a pct. this high was in 1908 (.636) and 1909 (.724). The Bucs are 15-5 in their last 20 games. The Pirates won 79 games last season.
- The Red Sox are the only other team with 50 wins, at 50-34. They won 69 games last season.
- The Indians are 44-38 (.537) and are in a virtual tie for first in the AL Central with the Tigers 43-37 (.538). The Tribe is 12-2 vs the AL West and are 5-0 in extra innings. The Tigers are 2-9 in extras, the worst record in the AL. The Indians won 68 games last season.
- The Reds at 46-36 are 5.5 games back in the NL Central and are 15-26 against teams .500 and better.
- Boston, Toronto, and Pittsburgh all had 17 wins in June, the most in baseball.
- Texas, St. Louis, Minnesota, and Washington all played .500 ball in June.
- Entering play on July 1, 2012, the Yankees were 47-30. They are 42-39 today.
- Entering play on July 1, 2012, the White Sox were 47-30. They are 32-47 today after going 8-29 for June.
- The Dodgers are as recently hot as the Rangers. Both teams have gone 8-2 in their 10 games, 11-9 in their last 20, and 16-14 in their last 30 games.