Nine to Know
- Life is good: Hall of Fame broadcaster Vin Scully will return to the Dodger broadcast booth for an unprecedented 65th season in 2014. Scully will again call all Dodger home games and road games in California and Arizona.
- The Boston Red Sox get ultimate revenge on the 1986 New York Mets as pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka has signed with the Mets and will start tonight against Detroit.
- The A’s A.J. Griffin leads the majors with 30 gopher balls, the franchise record is 40 allowed by Orlando Pena for the 1964 KC A’s, followed Catfish Hunter who allowed 39 in 1973 for Oakland.
- The Orioles 4-5 batters in their lineup have hit 73 homers, the Royals a mere 15.
- The A’s have only allowed double figure runs in two games this season. The Mariners have 18 games to their credit.
- The last and only World Series champ to finish last the following season are the 1997 champion Marlins. The Giants are on their way.
- Now that the Cardinals have 101 and the Dodgers 100, the only teams with less than a hundred homers this season are the Royals 84, the Giants 76, and the Marlins 70.
- Boston’s Mike Napoli has been missing time because of plantar fasciitis, but he still has an excellent chance of breaking the Sox team record for strikeouts in a season. Mark Bellhorn holds the record with 177 whiffs in 2004. Napoli has 159.
- The Tigers lead the majors hitting .275 with the bases empty, followed by the Dodgers at .274. The Cards lead the majors hitting .316 with runners on.