Bill Chuck (Billy-Ball his own self)
FROM THE BILL CHUCK FILES…
By Baseball Newstalgist, Bill Chuck
NINE TO KNOW
April 15, 2009 – Here are nine things you need to know in order to talk baseball today.
1. Extra! Extra!! Extra!!! Extra!!!! Extra!!!!! – Five of the nine games yesterday ended in extra innings. Junior Griffey returned to his “house” as the Mariners beat the Angels, 3-2 in 10. The Mariners (6-2) are off to their best start since 2001, the last time they reached the playoffs. They’ve won five straight.
2. Even his arm is tired of Dice-K – Matsuzaka lasts an inning but the Sox come back only to lose in 12 to the A’s, 6-5. Count Dice-K and his “arm fatigue” as a WBCasualty.
3. Orioles go deep in the heart of Texas – The Rangers score two in the bottom of the 10th, the trouble is the Orioles had scored four in the top of the inning. Baltimore wins, 7-5. The Rangers have lost five straight.
4. Crede doubles up – Joe Crede doubled in the 5th, hit into a bases loaded double play in the 6th, and then hit a walkoff double in the 11th as the Twins top the Jays, 3-2.
5. Cards lose game Carpenter, then game game – Arizona beat St. Louis 7-6 in 10 innings but the big story is Chris Carpenter suffered a rib cage injury while swinging a bat, he had thrown 10 scoreless innings thus far this season.
6. Now we know – The Indians are this year’s Tigers. The Royals’ John Buck slams one off Carl Pavano and then grand slams one off Vinnie Chulk (no relation). Royals beat the One-Wins, 9-3.
7. He’s just a tease – A.J. Burnett flirted with a no-hitter (before his wife Karen found out?) but Carl Crawford broke it up in the 7th. The Yanks beat the Rays, 7-2.
8. Economics 2009 – The less you spend, the more you win. The Marlins top the Braves, 5-1, and are 6-1, the best record in baseball.
9. No Joshing – Josh Beckett is suspended for six games for throwing at Bobby Abreu’s head on Sunday and not apologizing for it. Mutual decision made by the Commissioner’s Office and Emily Post.
Bill Chuck is the creator of Billy-Ball.com (www.Billy-Ball.com) and, with Jim Kaplan, is the author of the book, “Walk-Offs, Last Licks, and Final Outs – Baseball’s Grand (and not so Grand) Finales,” with a Foreword by Jon Miller, published by ACTA Sports, and available worldwide.
Bill Chuck is available for radio appearances, and writing for print or the web: Bill@billy-ball.com or 617-566-2784.
Natural and Organic Groceries – Save $15 and get a free Earthwise shopping bag when you spend $59 or more on a huge eligible selection of natural and organic groceries including Newman’s Own, Kashi, and more!