Bill Chuck (Billy-Ball his own self)
1. Take 10 – This weekend, the Red Sox made the Yankees look like GM…on the verge of collapse. Don’t be surprised if they ask for a bailout. Last night in the 4-1 victory, Jacoby Ellsbury stole what the Sox already owned (that would be home – http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=4316269). Ten straight wins for the Bostonians as the swept the three-game Yankees set and now head to Cleveland.
2. The Jays keep winning – After dropping the White Sox, 4-3, the Blue Jays have now won eight of 11 games and won its first three series on the road for the first time in franchise history. Roy Halladay is now 4-1 for the team that has won six straight series.
3. The Marlins keep losing – The Phillies swept the Marlins for their third consecutive win and delivered the Fish their sixth consecutive loss, 13-2. Shane Victorino drove home four for the Champs and outfielder Cody Ross pitched a scoreless 9th for the Marlins.
4. Rivalry, NL Style – Kosuke Fukudome hit a three-run homer and drove in five to celebrate his 32nd birthday, as the Cubs celebrated with a 10-3 victory over the Cardinals. Fukudome is now hitting .371 with four homers and 15 RBI (the most RBI in a month he’s had since he’s joined the Cubs).
5. It’s all in the spelling – Jered Weaver won as Jarrod Washburn lost as the Angels won the battle 8-0 but lost the war as the Mariners took the series, 2-1.
6. Dodgers take the day off – Manny B Manny, Rafael Furcal and Casey Blake , all took the day off; the problem is the Dodgers who played did as well. The Rockies beat LA 10-4, the Dodgers won the series 2-1.
7. Teams we write about in April – The Pirates defeated Jake Peavy and the Padres, 8-3. The Padres lost the series 2-1 and have lost five of six. Surprising Pittsburgh (11-7) went four games over .500 for the first time since April 30, 2002.
8. If the season ended today – The division winners would be the Jays, Tigers, Mariners, Marlins, Cardinals and Dodgers. Your Wild Card teams would be the Red Sox and the Pirates.
9. If the season ended today – Your last place teams would be the Rays, Indians, Angels, Nationals, Astros and Rockies.
BONUS – Did anybody else notice that Stephen Drew went on the DL and brother J.D. Drew also had to sit out because he was hurting? Will J.D. also sit out if Nancy Drew has cramps?