Bill Chuck (Billy-Ball his own self)
FROM THE BILL CHUCK FILES…
By Baseball Newstalgist, Bill Chuck
NINE TO KNOW
May 11, 2009 – Here are nine things you need to know in order to talk baseball today.
1. Paplebon Bay wins at the buzzer – Which Boston team did what? And where’s Palpebon Bay? Talk about: The Sox took 2 of 3 from the Rays Ramirez was the winner last night, Ramon Ramirez that is.
2. Dodgers suffering from Manny-pause – Los Angeles fell to 1-3 without Manny B Manny after the Giants took 2 of 3 including yesterday’s 7-5 win in 12. Talk about: Manny’s replacements – Juan Pierre , who had three hits for the second straight game and Xavier Paul, who took Manny’s place on the LA roster and picked up his first major league hit.
3. Synergy – After Atlanta’s 4-2 win over Philadelphia, the Braves have won four of their last five while the Phillies have lost four of their last five. Talk about: The Phillies fell to 0-10 when scoring three runs or less.
4. Which is more surprising? – The fact that the Mets have now won seven in a row or that the Mets 8-4 win over Pittsburgh yesterday gave the New York Citi team their first three-game sweep of the Pirates since 2001. Talk about: The Pirates have dropped eight in a row and 12 of 13. After an 11-7 start, the Buccos are 12-19. Aah, the world is getting back to normal.
5. Here’s to you Ryan Zimmerman – Okay, it doesn’t have the same lyrical ring as Simon & Garfunkle singing about “Joltin’ Joe.” Then again Zimmerman is only halfway to DiMaggio’s 56-game hitting streak. His 28-games equals Garfunkle, everybody knows the really talent was Paul Simon. Talk about: The Diamondbacks beat the Nationals as if anyone really cares.
6. Only two people could have made that catch – Here’s the situation, the Angels are up 4-3 with one out in the 9th, Miguel Olivo drives the ball toward the centerfield fence. But wait, here comes the centerfielder running about 150 feet and without breaking stride, eyes the fence and leaps, his gloved hand flying over the wall to snare the ball and steal a home run. If you guessed Peter Parker, you’re wrong. Torii Hunter shows us again why we’re lucky to see him in action. Talk about: The Angels have won seven of their last eight games and 10 out of 13, they won’t need 88 games to win the West.
7. The Yanks show off their Damonic side – Johnny Damon hit his 9th homer of the season and his fifth in his last seven games as the Yankees beat the Orioles, 5-3. Talk about: New York took two of three from the miserable Orioles in a series that truly featured two sub-.500 teams.
8. Tigers sweep the Indians – Yesterday it was Detroit 5, Cleveland 3 as the Tribe lost for the seventh time in nine games to fall to 11-21, the worst record in the major leagues and that includes the Washington Generals. Talk about: How much longer will it be before Bob Melvin and Eric Wedge are golfing together?
9. UNABASHED SELF PROMOTION: After all if I don’t do it, who will?
Walk-Offs, Last Licks, and Final Outs – Baseball’s Grand (and not so Grand) Finales, is a great Father’s Day present and is available on Amazon.com
Check my Tweet for #10 – http://twitter.com/BillyBall
Bill Chuck is the creator of Billy-Ball.com (www.Billy-Ball.com) and, with Jim Kaplan, is the author of the book, “Walk-Offs, Last Licks, and Final Outs – Baseball’s Grand (and not so Grand) Finales,” with a Foreword by Jon Miller, published by ACTA Sports, and available worldwide.
Bill Chuck is available for radio appearances, and writing for print or the web: Bill@billy-ball.com or 617-566-2784.
Natural and Organic Groceries – Save $15 and get a free Earthwise shopping bag when you spend $59 or more on a huge eligible selection of natural and organic groceries including Newman’s Own, Kashi, and more!
To unsubscribe/change profile: