Yesterday, Carl Crawford hit a three-run homer and Adrian Gonzalez added a two-run shot as the Red Sox beat Oakland, 6-3 victory to finish off a three-game sweep and send the Oakland A’s to their sixth straight loss.
- The A’s were previously swept at home by the Yankees.
- The A’s had won four straight before they were swept by the AL East leaders.
- The Red Sox last swept the A’s in August 2008.
- The A’s are now a season-high six games under .500 and seven behind Texas.
- Oakland leads the league with a 3.21 ERA, but over the past seven starts, the starters have gone 1-4 with an 8.52 ERA.
- Oakland is 4-6 in their last 10, 7-13 in their last 20, 12-18 in their last 30.
- The A’s are 27th in the majors in runs scored and slugging, 26ths in batting avrage, and 25th in OBP.
- Coco Crisp leads the A’s with a .266 batting average.
- Hideki Matsui broke a career-worst 0-for-19 slump on Saturday and is hitting .213.
Albert Pujols hit a walkoff homer in extra innings for the second straight day, as the Cardinals topped the Chicago Cubs yesterday, 3-2.
- Pujols now has 13 homers this season and had five during a seven-game homestand and has 10 career walkoff homers.
- The Cubs have lost nine of 11.
- Carlos Marmol allowed a tying 9th inning run and has two blown save opportunities in his last three appearances and is 10 for 14 overall.
- Cubs starter Carlos Zambrano gave up one run and five hits in seven innings. “We’re playing like a Triple-A team,” Zambrano said to post-game reporters. “This is embarrassing. Embarrassing for the team, for the owners. Embarrassing for the fans.” I guess that’s the Big Z once again asking for a trade.
- Aramis Ramirez has a 27-game hitting streak against the Cardinals.
- The Cubs are 30th in the majors with a 4.75 ERA and 30th with only 20 Quality Starts and 30th with a 1.49 WHIP. They are 28th with a .240 BAA.
- Cubs starting pitchers are 14-25 with a 5.47 ERAand a 1.513 WHIP.
- The Cubs are 2-8 in their last 10, 6-4 in their last 20, and 11-19 in their last 30.
- Overall now, Cubs manager Mike Quade is 47-47.