- Drew Stubbs hit a 9th inning leadoff walkoff homer giving the Cincinnati Reds a 4-3 victory over the Atlanta Braves. a
- Jeff Baker hit a pinch-hit walkoff single in the 10th inning as the Cubs defeated the Astros, 5-4. It was the Cubbies first three-game sweep at Wrigley Field in nearly two years and Chicago’s first three-game winning streak of the season.
Chase d’Arnaud hit a one out 10th inning walkoff sac liner to center enabling the Pirates to edge the St. Louis Cardinals, 4-3.
- The Red Sox topped Seattle, 12-8, to complete a three-game sweep of the Mariners. Seattle has now lost 15 in a row while the Sox won their 17th game in their last 20. Tim Wakefield (6-3) won the 199th game of his career and joined Roger Clemens as the only Red Sox pitchers to strike out 2,000 batters.
- The Giants topped the Brewers, 2-1, and improved to 27-13 in one-run games. It was their major-league leading 29th comeback victory. Milwaukee is now 21-35 on the road.
- Brett Cecil (3-4) held the Rangers to four singles as the Jays topped Texas, 3-0. It was Cecil’s first career shutout, Beanie had none.
- Alex Cobb allowed just six singles in seven scoreless innings and three Rays relievers completed an eight-hit shutout of the Royals, 5-0. It was the Rays’ eighth shutout of the season.
- Micah Owings (4-0) blanked the Rockies on two hits through five innings and had an RBI single as Arizona topped Colorado, 7-0. Ubaldo Jimenez (6-9) took the loss, perhaps in his last Rockies start.
- In brother news, Justin Upton went 4 for 4 with two doubles, a triple and three RBI for Arizona while the Rays B.J. Upton was held out of the lineup as the stories ramped up that he will be traded by July 31. And DTD (Day to Day) Drew (aka J.D. Drew) joined his brother Stephen Drew and became DL Drew. Drew is heading to the 15-day disabled list with with an impingement in his left shoulder. The Sox will try to survive in his absence by replacing him on the roster with a bag of styrofoam packing peanuts.