Always look on the bright side of life…
- The 2011 Seattle Mariners, after 99 games, are 43-56. The 2010 Seattle Mariners, after 99 games, were 39-60.
- The 2010 Seattle Mariners pitching staff finished with a 3.93 ERA good for third in the AL. The 2011 Seattle Mariners have a 3.46 ERA, also good for third.
- The 2011 version of Felix Hernandez is 8-9, with a 3.47 ERA after 22 starts. After 22 starts in 2010, King Felix was 7-7 and a 2.74 ERA.
- In Felix’s last 12 starts of 2010, Hernandez was 6-5, with a 1.42 ERA, so the Mariner fans should only hope the Z man doesn’t consider offers for him.
- Doug Fister was 6-14 with a 3.11 ERA for the M’s in 2010. This year, he still can’t win, he’s 3-11, but with a 3.30 ERA he looks better losing.
- David Pauley wasn’t particularly good as a starter last season ending the year with a 4-9 record and a 4.07 ERA. This year coming out of the bullpen, Pauley is 5-4 with a 2.06 ERA.
- In 2010, Casey Kotchman hit .217. In 2011, Kotchman is hitting .331, but unfortunately doing it for Tampa Bay (but the good people of Seattle are happy for his success).
- Russell Branyan hit .215 with 15 homers last year for the Mariners. Branyon is hitting a combined .193 with two homers for the Angels and Diamondbacks (the people of Seattle are happy in their schadenfreude).
- While the rest of the country is baking and sweating under the “heat dome,” the fans in Seattle are luxuriating in mid-70s temperature.