The Yankees demolished the White Sox last night, 18-7.
Here’s Nine to Know:
- Derek Jeter had five hits.
- Curtis Granderson drove home five runs.
- Robinson Cano and Eric Chavez each had three hits and four RBI
- Chavez hit his first homer since May 11, 2010 when he played for Oakland.
- Brett Gardner scored four times
- Mark Teixeira drove in three runs
- Teixeira hit his first triple since September 19, 2009
- Jeter went 5-for-6 and moved past Lou Brock and into 23rd on the career list with 3,027 hits. He also scored four runs and drove in a pair.
- According to our friends at ESPN Stats & Information, the Yankees have now scored 17 or more runs 3 times this season. The other 29 MLB teams have combined to score 17 or more runs 3 times.
All that is pretty impressive, but the most amazing thing about the whole night was that staked to a 13-1 lead going to the the bottom of the 4th, A.J. Burnett could not last long enough to earn the win. Burnett pitched 4.1 innings giving up 13 hits, and seven earned runs getting pulled before Joe Girardi killed himself. While Burnett cannot challenge John Lackey worst starter in baseball status (6.23 ERA, 1.548 WHIP), Burnett has been miserable with a 4.54 ERA and 1.346 WHIP.