The 5-bedroom, 2.5- bathroom estate on 1663 Grandview Ave., Glendale, CA 91201 is listed for $2.410 million and sits on a flat lot just under 1 acre that includes a pool and tennis court that were refurbished four years ago, plus a private orchard.
The home was built by Edna’s father, and the Stengels lived there for decades. Stengel died in 1975 at age 85, and on the night of the funeral, Billy Martin slept in Stengel’s bed in the house on Grandview according to an article by Laura Vecsey.
If those walls could talk you might hear these Stengelisms:
- All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.
- Been in this game one-hundred years, but I see new ways to lose ’em I never knew existed before.
- Being with a woman all night never hurt no professional baseball player. It’s staying up all night looking for a woman that does him in.
- Good pitching will always stop good hitting and vice-versa.
- I came in here and a fella asked me to have a drink. I said I don’t drink. Then another fella said hear you and Joe DiMaggio aren’t speaking and I said I’ll take that drink.
- The Yankees don’t pay me to win every day, just two out of three.
- If we’re going to win the pennant, we’ve got to start thinking we’re not as good as we think we are.
- Most ball games are lost, not won.
- Son, we’d like to keep you around this season but we’re going to try and win a pennant.