In addition, Wood held the Sox to two runs in six innings.
Wood now has five career homers and two this season after hitting the first grand slam by a Cubs pitcher since Jason Marquis hit one Sept. 22, 2008, in New York against the Mets and first by a Cubs pitcher at Wrigley since Burt Hooton hit one Sept. 16, 1972, also against the Mets.
The Cubs pitchers now have 19 RBI in May, a National League record for one month. The last time any team’s pitching staff had more than 19 runs batted in for a month was 1940 when the Detroit Tigers had a month with 20.
Cubs RBI by Position in May
Cubs pitchers 19 RBI in May
- Cubs catchers have 13 RBI
- Cubs first basemen have 16 RBI
- Cubs second basemen have 5 RBI
- Cubs third basemen have 6 RBI
- Cubs shortstops have 9 RBI
- Cubs left fielders have 19 RBI
- Cubs center fielders have 10 RBI
- Cubs right fielders have 13 RBI
- Cubs designated hitters have 1 RBI
The 31 Grand Slams of 2013
The Twins’ Pedro Hernandez is the only pitcher to allow two slams this season.