Jon Lester walked a Tampa Bay runner home last night in the 1st inning of Boston’s 8-3 loss to the Rays.
If that sounds familiar to Red Sox Nation, it’s because Boston has had a preponderance of bases loaded walks over the last week issuing five of their major league leading eight sacks filled walks since the start of play on June 8.
2013 Red Sox Bases Loaded Walks
|8||2013-06-11||Jon Lester||BOS||@TBR||James Loney||ahead 1-0||b1||2||6 (3-2)|
|7||2013-06-10||Andrew Bailey||BOS||@TBR||Kelly Johnson||ahead 8-7||b10||0||9 (3-2)|
|4||2013-06-08 (1)||Franklin Morales||BOS||LAA||Alberto Callaspo||down 2-4||t7||2||4 (3-0)|
|5||2013-06-08 (1)||Franklin Morales||BOS||LAA||Chris Iannetta||down 2-5||t7||2||4 (3-0)|
|6||2013-06-08 (1)||Andrew Miller||BOS||LAA||Mike Trout||down 2-7||t9||2||5 (3-1)|
|3||2013-04-27||Felix Doubront||BOS||HOU||Chris Carter||tied 0-0||t1||0||6 (3-2)|
|2||2013-04-23||Alfredo Aceves||BOS||OAK||Seth Smith||tied 0-0||t3||0||7 (3-2)|
|1||2013-04-21 (2)||Andrew Miller||BOS||KCR||Lorenzo Cain||tied 4-4||t10||2||4 (3-0)|
- There have been 5766 walks issued so far this season.
Here’s your Nine to Know
- No team has issued more walks than the Red Sox (245) nor received more walks than the Red Sox (261).
- No pitcher has issued more walks than Jason Marquis (43) and received more than Joey Votto (50).
- Right-hand batters have walked 3005 times, left-hand batters 2716 times.
- Righty pitchers have issued 4034 walks, lefties 1732 walks.
- Away teams walk more frequently than home teams, 2905 to 2861.
- Five pitch walks are the most frequent with 1681, but there have been 75 walks worked after 10+ pitches.
- The most frequent count in which a walk has been issued is 3-2 after which there have been 2702 walks.
- The most walks have been issued in the 1st inning: 677, but close behind is the 8th inning with 675.
- There have been 105 bases loaded walks including two walkoff walks.