NINE TO KNOW: FROM THE BILL CHUCK FILES
- 714 – As we track the Dodgers to 100+ wins, I think of the 1927 Yankees who finished 110-44. That was the year that the Babe hit 60 home runs on his way to 714 homers. The 1927 Yankees winning pct. was .714.
- The Cubs placed reliever Koji Uehara on the 10-day disabled list because of a right neck strain. Since July 1, Koji has appeared in 15 games and in 12.0 IP has a 5.25 ERA allowing 4 HR.
- In three starts since his return from the DL, Dallas Keuchel is 0-2 and has a 10.50 ERA and a .390 BAA in 12.0 IP.
- AL Cy Young Race Update: Since June 1, Chris Sale is 8-2 with a 2.38 ERA, 0.85 WHIP, and 119 K in 83.1 IP. Since June 1, Corey Kluber is 7-1 with a 1.70 ERA, 0.73 WHIP, and 142 K in 95.1 IP.
- Wednesday: Bartolo Colon pitched seven innings of shutout ball against the Brewers. Bartolo first faced the Brewers in April 1997, when they were in the AL Central.
- It’s been 32 years since Steve Balboni set the Royals HR record with 36; it’s been 22 years since Gary Gaetti fell one short; now we wait to see if Mike Moustakas (32 HR) can become the first to hit 40 homers.
- When allowing three or more HR in a game this season, the Giants are 0-13 and the Rays are 0-11.
- Adrian Beltre is the biggest complainer according to ump Joe West, who was suspended 3 games for his comments. Beltre was ejected this season (his 20th) for moving the on-deck circle and then just once in 2002, 2010, and 2015 for complaining about balls and strikes
- The Mariners are the only team this season that has not hit a HR to lead off their game.